500 Hempstead Ave.
West Hempstead, N.Y. 11552
(516) 481-2608 FAX
Mon-Thu: 9am - 9 pm
Fri: 9 am - 6 pm
Sat: 9 am -5 pm
Sun: 12 pm-5 pm
Mon-Thu: 9am - 9 pm
Fri: 9 am - 6 pm
Sat: 9 am -1 pm
Whether you need help tracking down consumer information, tracing your family roots, or exploring ideas on what to read next, we can help.
With our Book-a-Librarian service you may reserve a free 30-minute session with a professional reference librarian to help you navigate through the many informational resources available to you in the library, through our catalog, in our databases and on the internet.
If you are in the library, come to the Reference Desk to fill out a Book-a-Librarian request form, or email or call the Reference Desk at 516-481-6591 to request the service. Each request will be given to a Reference Librarian who will schedule your personal appointment at a mutually convenient time
Book-a-Librarian appointments must be scheduled in advance and are restricted to West Hempstead Public Library cardholders.
General Business Services
- Fax services are offered during weekday business hours, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. Ask for assistance at the Circulation Desk in the main entrance foyer. Our fax number is (516) 481-2608.
- A black and white photocopier is available on the main floor. It does not print double-sided copies. It takes cash or you may purchase a vendor card at the Reference Desk.
- A notary is usually onsite during weekday business hours, but you are advised to call ahead to check on her availability. Ask at the Circulation Desk or call (516) 481-6591 x 10.
- The Community Room, on the lower level, seats up to 120 persons. It can be divided into two rooms. Not-for-profit groups serving the district may reserve the space, if available. A West Hempstead Public Library cardholder must serve as the contact person and attend the meeting. Call (516) 481-6591 ext. 25 for more information.
- The Conference Room, on the second floor, seats up to 12 adults. Not-for-profit groups serving the district may reserve the space, if available. A West Hempstead Public Library cardholder must serve as the contact person and attend the meeting. Call (516) 481-6591 ext. 25 for more information.
- Study Rooms (2) on the second floor are available on a first come, first served basis. Each Study Room may be used by a maximum of two persons. West Hempstead patrons are given priority. They are guaranteed one hour, up to a maximum of three hours per day. They may reserve a room 24 hours in advance of usage by calling (516) 481-6591 ext. 22. As of 9/2012, tutoring is no longer allowed in these rooms or anywhere on the second floor.
- The entire second floor has been designated a Quiet Study Area. Patrons in this area must maintain reasonable silence. No tutoring may take place in any section of the Quiet Study Area. Groupwork and tutoring is banned in the carrels, tables or seating areas of the Quiet Study Area, but may take place on the first floor of the library.
Spanish Language Services
We are extending our outreach to the Spanish language community by offering different programs in Spanish, led by our library aide, Pia Ramirez. Check our Spanish language page, for currrent information! Pia also leads book discussions in Spanish and other programs and is helping us to expand our Spanish language collection. See our Languages page to find our databases translated in Spanish and other languages.
For more information, call the Reference Desk at 516-481-6591.
To communicate with us in Spanish, e-mail email@example.com or interact with Pia on her Facebook page.