Computers for Public Use
There are 12 computer located in the Adult Reference Area for use by adults and teens in 6th grade and above (with signed parental approval). In addition to full internet access, these computers offer the use of Microsoft Office software such as Word, Publisher, and Excel (excluding Microsoft Access). Black & white or color printing is available at a nominal charge. There is no charge to use the computers, but registration is required using an automated system called Smart Access Manager (SAM), which allows access via any Nassau Library System card. For younger patrons (with signed parental approval), the Children’s Room provides 5 free public use computers available with black and white printing.
Click here for our Internet and Wireless Services Policy.
General Business Services
1. Fax services are available during all hours of operation. Our new all-in-one public fax machine/copier/scanner is located in the alcove between the Children’s Room and Teen Department.
$1.25 for the first page
$1.00 each additional page
A maximum of 9 pages can be faxed at a time. We only fax within the continental US; there is no international faxing.
2. Pricing for copying and scanning on our all-in-one public machine is as follows:
Black and White Copy – 15¢ per copy
Color Copy – 25¢ per copy
Scanning to USB Flash Drive – 10¢ per copy
A single-sided black and white photocopier is available in the alcove between the Children’s Room and Teen Department. Each copy is 15¢.
Notary services are offered during weekday business hours. You are advised to call ahead at 516-481-6591 ext. 12 to check for notary availability and document acceptance.
Our Notary service is supported through donations; a small donation of your choice for each notarized document is appreciated.
- The person signing the document must be present and have a photo I.D. present
- The document must be in English
- The document may not be signed in advance
- The Library will not supply any witnesses
Meeting and Study Spaces
1. If you are interested in using any of our meeting spaces contact Dorothy, Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., at (516) 481-6591 ext. 25.
2. Study Rooms (2) on the second floor are available on a first come, first served basis. Each Study Room may be used by a maximum of two persons for individual study. West Hempstead patrons are given priority. They are guaranteed one hour, up to a maximum of three hours per day. West Hempstead patrons may reserve a room 24 hours in advance of usage by calling (516) 481-6591 ext. 22. Tutoring is not permitted in these rooms or anywhere on the second floor.
3. The entire second floor has been designated a Quiet Study Area. Patrons in this area must maintain reasonable silence. No tutoring may take place in any section of the Quiet Study Area. Groupwork and tutoring are banned in the carrels, tables, and seating areas of the Quiet Study Area, but may take place on the first floor of the library.
Nassau residents are eligible for a books-by-mail program that delivers thousands of both recorded and braille titles postage-free through the New York Public Library’s Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library.
To borrow audio or braille books from the Andrew Heiskell Library you must first register with them to confirm your eligibility. Once your application has been received and confirmed, the Andrew Heiskell Library will register you for service and send you the requested equipment.