WEST HEMPSTEAD PUBLIC LIBRARY TUTOR POLICY
West Hempstead Public Library permits tutoring on its premises as part of its educational mission. Both tutors and students are required to abide by all rules, regulations and guidelines of the library. Failure to do so may result in the loss of tutoring privileges for the tutor and/or the student. The library does not sponsor, recommend or assume liability or responsibility for the work and/or activities of tutors who use library space. All arrangements must be made between the student, the tutor and the parent. All students and tutors must adhere to the Tutoring Guidelines, the Code of Behavior for Patrons, and the Public Computer Use Policy and Guidelines of the West Hempstead Public Library. Tutors may not solicit patrons or promote their services while in the library. WHPL is not an agent of the West Hempstead School District. No special privileges are given to WHSD tutors or students.
Board approved. 8/20/12
WHPL TUTORING GUIDELINES
Tutors are required to observe the following guidelines when tutoring in the West Hempstead Public Library. Failure to comply may result in loss of tutoring privileges in the library. Tutors are responsible for the behavior of their students during the sessions.
- Tutors may work with only one student at a time. Group sessions are strictly forbidden.
- Age-appropriate tutoring (for students up to fifth grade) is allowed in the Children’s Room.
- All older students may be tutored on the first floor at an open reading table. No spot can be reserved.
- No tutoring is allowed on the second floor which is the library’s Quiet Floor.
- Tutoring sessions must be as quiet as possible so as not to disturb other patrons or staff.
- Tutors are responsible for communications with students and parents. Library phones may not be used for this purpose, and library staff will not relay messages.
- Tutors and students must bring their own supplies and equipment.
- Tutors and students must observe the WHPL Patron Code of Behavior. They are particularly reminded:
Use of cell phones is restricted to the lobbies. Ringtones must be turned off. No food or drink is allowed in the library proper. It may only be consumed in the first floor lobby. The only exception to this rule is bottled plain water.
- Use of public computers must comply with all library guidelines and procedures, especially:
All minors (persons under 18) must register at the Reference Desk to use or observe the Internet.Signed parental permission is required for minors to access the Internet on public machines.
- Tutors should not direct a minor student to a computer until the student has registered at the Reference Desk.
The Library Director will report any problems created by tutors or their WHSD students to the Head of Guidance of the West Hempstead School District.